Sunday, August 2, 2015

West Wishes 6: A Summary of Sorts

Okay, so I’m back. The jet lag has been conquered, the pictures have been uploaded to Facebook, and my bag is mostly still packed, but we’re not talking about that. It’s time to reflect and find the heart and meaning behind our two-week trip. 

See, ‘cause if I’m reflecting, it means I’m still in vacation mode. I’m still doing some useful processing that requires me to be in trip mindset, where new and exciting and wonderful things are just around this next corner. I can live for a little longer in the moments that made the memories that sparked the stories that form a wholeness in my life. 

Staying in vacation mode means that I don’t really need to sit down and call Time Warner Cable again to make sure that they cut off our service when they said they were going to, because they haven’t sent me a final bill yet and every other utility has and I’m a little tired of being burned by this again and again.  

Staying in vacation mode means I don’t have to look at my budget and my planned expenses for the fall and realize exactly how much ramen I’ll be eating in my future. 

It means I don’t have to think about selling my car. 

It means that all these experiences, they aren’t yet fully in my unreachable past. I can still talk about it, I can still live it over again in the stories, in the pictures, in the odd assortment of souvenirs that made it back. Life doesn’t have to shrink back down. 


Did I tell you about how fantastic The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland is? Or about the tea cups or Pirates of the Caribbean or the teenager who ate the second half of her double cheeseburger less than five minutes before getting on Space Mountain in the row in front of us? 


Have I talked about how phenomenal it was to see one of the space shuttles and how I teared up at the video they had playing in the shuttle exhibit showing all the people who came out to see the shuttle as it was being driven to the museum? Or how I made absolutely no friends with the fish but instead exploited them for photo ops? 



Have I geeked out about the La Brea tar pits or sighed when I thought about how nice a park it makes and how pleasant the weather was everywhere and how the beach was all sorts of lovely? 


Well, then, I guess I don’t have to be done yet, then, do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment